October 11, 2011

My mother says the darnest things

Since my mom was in the room with me when I typed the previous post, I realized I couldn't keep this joyous video to myself! She was already annoyed that I was still at the computer, when I should have been dropping off some goodies for a friend. However, she complied and watched it with me. Here's what happened before, during, and after the viewing of this video.

Me (pretend it's in Vietnamese and words in caps are in English)
Mom, do you want to watch a PROPOSAL?

Mom
What?

I open a new tab and typed google translator. I typed in the word proposal and show it to her.

Me
Didn't Dad do this for you?

Mom
No. Why would he have to ask me?
We already know we were getting married.
In Vietnam, you don't date around.

Me
Okay, well, in America they do this and usually
the girl doesn't know when to expect the proposal.

I press play on the YouTube page.



Me

So that's her in the red. She doesn't know what's going on.


Mom
She doesn't know that this will be on YouTube?

Me
Yes. And she doesn't know that he's proposing.

Mom
What? She doesn't know she's marrying him?
Why would he not tell her beforehand?
Doesn't she need time to think about it before she decides? 

Random people begin to dance.
Mom
Are they exercising?


I'm irritated.

Me
No, they're dancing. Do you hear the music?

Mom
It's nice music.

Now more people are joining the dancing routine.

Mom
Dancing is good exercise.
Exercise is very similar to dancing.

Me
Mom just watch.

Mom
How come you don't like to dance?
You should dance like that. It's good for you.

Me
Okay just watch.

Mom
Vietnamese people love dancing.
 Exercising is very similar. Good for them.

Me
Look, the boyfriend is dancing too.

Mom
Why isn't she dancing?
Does she not like to exercise?
She probably can't dance.

The dancing finally stops and the proposal speech begins. The girl is giggling.

Mom
Her teeth looks like yours before you had braces.
I can see them. Very crooked.

I ignore her and proceed to translate the speech... poorly.

Me
He's saying he loves her and stuff like that.

My mom leaves the room.
Me
Wait keep watching.

Mom
It's not done yet?

In the video he asks "Will you marry me?" She responds "duhhh" with a self conscious laugh.

Me
Wasn't that fun?

Mom
Ahhh that is fun. They're oohing and ahhing because they
 want you to go and give your friend his desserts already.

End Scene.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...